Tuesday, July 15, 2008

"This Is Who We Are"


I've been meaning to turn this into a scrapbook page since July 4th but, since I have yet to get around to it, I thought I would record it here so I don't forget. A few years ago our city's Independence Day festivities changed sponsors and organizers. One of the changes made to the celebration is that, in recognition of the fact that the place we hold our celebration is a place sacred the Anishenabe, some of the people of the Three Fires open the festivities with a drum circle and dancing. One of the men spoke about the clothing worn for the ceremonies and I found myself moved by his words: "This is not a costume. A costume is something you wear when you are trying to be something that you are not. These are our best clothes. THIS IS WHO WE ARE."

1 comment:

Cathy said...

I so love this Cindy. It's so touching and true. More people should be "who they are".

Hugs.