Tuesday, February 24, 2009

Camping Clothes

Forgive me if I ramble a bit today. I figure typing things out will help me clarify my thoughts/plans. My plan is to go to Pennsic this year which means I need more clothes appropriate for wearing in the heat and the dirt. (That and I refuse to put the effort into a "court gown" until I lose at least 20 more pounds!) This is my list of what I figure I need to make by mid-July to supplement what I already have:
two camicie/smocks with square necks- one with full sleeves, one with narrow sleeves
two more partlets (at minimum) to keep the sun off my neck and chest
two or three simple dresses
It would make sense to start with the smocks since the fit is less exact and less effected by weight loss but I need to buy more handkercheif linen first. I do, however, have linen on hand for two dresses. I have some medium to heavy weight medium green linen that I bought last year and haven't done anything with yet. Then yesterday I stumbled upon a moving sale for the JoAnn Fabrics across town and scored five yards of light to medium weight navy linen for $12! So I think I am going to get started on the dresses. I am going to make them side lacing (under the arms, not side-back) partly because that style is SOOOOO much easier for me to get into and out of without help and so that I can make them to lace with a gap to fit me now and just close the gap as I continue to lose weight. What I still need to decide is if I want the waist at my natural waistline or slightly above and whether I want the skirts box pleated or cartridge pleated. As I type this out I am thinking that I could go with a slightly raised wasitline and box pleats for one and cartridge pleats at the natural waist for the other. Time to pull out my bodice pattern and start tweaking it!

1 comment:

Artemisia Moltabocca said...

Yeah your going! We'll meet up, maybe have some tea!

I don't know if you've gone to Pennsic before but in my experience have at 1-2 camicias for each day.

They get messy.