I finally got around to altering the "corset style bodice" I had made for me last year. When I recieved it, it was huge on me. So huge that I could lace it completely closed and still spin it around my body. I sent it back and got it made a bit smaller but I still wasn't happy with it. I was told by the seamstress that it wasn't intended to offer any support and I should wear a bra with it. Um, no. So I wore it once and tossed it to the bottom of the bin where it stayed until Joann needed something to wear to Mayfaire this spring. While it wasn't too large for her, it still had problems. When the corset/bodice was pulled up so that the waist was at the right level the front neckline stuck out funny and curled over.
I decided to add some boning to it the prevent the curling. The corset/bodice had been made with one piece of metal boning center front and one on each lacing edge in the back. The corset sat on my work table for a couple of weeks while I debated whether to add the boning on the diagonal like my boned bodice or straight up and down like my corset. I ended up deciding on diagonal boning and used heavy-duty cable ties. I guess this would be the place to note that the metal boning in the corset was replaced as well because it had cut through the fabric after only two wearings. It cut through because the cut ends of the boning were left sharp and unfinished!!!
Adding the cable tie boning greatly improved the look of the corset but the front neckline was still a bit too high and wanted to stand away from my body so I lowered it and inch or so.
I don't think that the end result looks too bad.