Friday, August 15, 2008

(Almost) Done!

Technically the bodice is done and wearable but, as I was editing pics to post here, I see a couple of things that need to be tweaked. I spent all of Wednesday morning sewing on the hooks and eyes and, thankfully, the bodice closes without any gap so I won't need to do the stuffed tube thingies.

Yesterday I made the paned cap sleeves with the Margo Anderson pattern and instructions. I followed the advice to make one (actually two) strip then use the pattern pieces to cut them to length rather than sewing ad trimming each pane seperately and it worked well.

My poor little sewing machine wouldn't even stitch on the trim without making a mess so I knew there was no way it was going to sew the binding/cuffs on the sleeves through 10 or more layers. I sewed them by hand doing one last night and the second this morning while watching the Olympics.

I can see a couple of litle things I wish I would have done differently but overall I like how they turned out.

As for the tweaking- I cut the center front boning a smidge too long and it wants to work it's way up making the top line stick up in the center instead of being even all the way across. I've decided that I would prefer the botton center a bit less pointy so I am going to recut that and, in the process, I can cut down the boning and hope that takes care of the pointiness on the top edge.

1 comment:

Cricket said...

Cindy, your dress is gorgeous! Wow, I can't even imagine sewing one of have done a fabulous job!!